Thursday 7 August 2014

So what do you do all day?

I've had mostly positive responses from people when I tell them I've left my job, but the one phrase I've come to roll my eyes at is this:

"Oh so what are you doing with yourself now you've become a lady of leisure?"

Relatives, ex colleagues mostly, anyone with an opinion. After the fourth or fifth person saying this in a matter of days it starts to get really old. I've started to get a little bit defensive about it. Mostly because the same people that said "good for you" when I left work are the ones saying it! I guess it's just the assumption that because I'm not going out to do any kind of paid work, I am not working. I just sit on my arse all day, apparently.

I'm still figuring out what I'm going to do with my life but in the mean time I'm going to have a bit of time to myself to get fit and strong, and to watch my daughter grow up. Is that OK? I think it's because I feel like I have to justify my decisions, like women don't get judged enough already but after children they seem to be like fair game. I don't know if it's just that we read about how other people have experienced parenthood and expect the same for ourselves. One thing this mum stuff has taught me is that no size fits all, all kids are different. And once I accepted that Ada is not a carbon copy of every kid the same age, things became a little easier.

So I'm going to sit back and enjoy being a lady of leisure by having a small glass of sloe gin and tonic before we eat dinner. Only one though, no one likes a pissed up parent!

No comments:

Post a Comment